Home  |   Contact Us  |   Disclaimer  |  

  Forms On-Line


A to Z Index


Keyword Index


Ministry and Department Index


Topics of Interest


Search Forms



Please read Copyright information before you download document(s)

Form Title:

Birth Registration


The law requires that every birth is to be registered within twenty-one days from its occurrence.

You have up to the age of three (3)to register a birth, however after the age of one (1) an affidavit is required stating the reason for not registering the child sooner.

Registration of a birth by a person other than a parent must bring an authorization form. (See attached)


  • You must bring the registration card and a valid Government issued picture identification (Passport, Drivers Licence, Voter’s Card)
  • If the child is older than one (1) and younger than (3), an affidavit is required.
  • If parents are not married an affidavit is required to have the father's name on the birth certificate.

  • Attachments:


    1.Registering a birth within prescribed 21 days
  • At the time of registration of a birth, the prescribed form must be completed and signed by the person presenting the information.
  • Once completed, the form must be returned to the Registry.
  • Authorization may be given for the birth to be registered by a person other than the mother or father by means of a consent form.
  • Valid government issued picture identification is required at the time of registration.
  • 2.Requirements for recording the birth of an infant under the age of 3 years. To register a child that has not yet turned 3 years of age a sworn affidavit explaining the reason for the delay is required. After a period of three years a birth cannot be registered.
    3.Requirements for recording the birth of an infant over the age of 3 years The birth can no longer be registered in the Birth Registry. Persons who do not have their birth registered within the specified three year period will have to rely on the use of a sworn affidavit. The affidavit
  • should be sworn to by two persons ten years older than the child/person.
  • You will need proof of birth, (letter from the hospital, clinic card, letter from school, baptism certificate).
  • Proof that the birth is not registered (a "Pink card" is issued by the Registrar General's Department). This search slip should be attached to the affidavit. The affidavit will only be recognized as an official document when a pink numbered search card is attached.
  • It is recommended that the Affidavit be recorded in the Deed and Document section of the Registrar General's Department.
  • 4.Registration of an illegitimate child. All illegitimate children are given the mother’s last name. The father’s surname may be added to the certificate of an illegitimate child as long as a joint affidavit by both father and mother is sworn requesting that the name of the child’s father be recorded in the Register of Births. The affidavit must be presented at the time of the registration.


    Original copy of Birth Certificate is free.




    P. O. Box N-532

    Top | Back

    © 2006 The Official Website of The Government of The Bahamas. All rights reserved.